DURING YOUR STAY
Holidays are a precious time in which to relax, especially during these unusual times, so we hope your stay at Maple Bank will be as relaxed as possible. We want you to feel like you're 'home-from-home', but with a few extra treats.
Whilst we are all learning to manage our lives with COVID-19, there are a few extra notes that we ask our guests to read - and stick to - during their stay, just to ensure that everyone feels comfortable and relaxed.
For those of you who have stayed with us already, you'll know that our approach to cleanliness is extremely thorough - which is also reflected in our guests reviews' scores. The well being of our guests and friends who work with us is - and will always remain - our top priority. Therefore, whilst we will be over the moon when we are to reopen on May 17th, we will all need to remain vigilant. We will continue to manage our cleaning regimes and the space in the dining room during breakfast, as well as how we manage our guests' bedrooms during each stay.
Before your arrival day, please can you let us know your approx arrival time as this helps us make sure that folk don't arrive at the same time and have a bottle-neck in the hall and stairs whilst you're unloading your car and taking your luggage to your room. Check-in is after 5pm and before 7pm if possible. Due to the extended cleaning regimes we cannot give you access to your room before 5pm. If you wish to arrive before 5pm, you're welcome to leave your car in the House car park and enjoy one of the many local walks from the House, or have a leisurely lunch or recuperative drink at one of the local pubs in the village, all within walking distance. Please just email or call us to let us know. If your anticipated arrival time is after 7pm, then again, just let us know so we can plan our evening to make sure you can access to your room.
Directions are available here and more reliable than sat nav and other apps.
When you arrive at Maple Bank, we'll either welcome you in the car park, in the front porch area or in the dining room - all weather permitting - to ensure social distancing. In your room will be:
- a welcome note with all the information you need: how to switch on your shower, where the plugs and USB plugs are, WiFi code and how to use the SMART TV - so don't forget to bring your Netflix and Amazon Prime log in details
- your pre-completed registration form, with space indicated for any blanks and your signature - please leave this in reception once completed and signed. All guests are required to provide full address and contact details
- your debit or credit card payment receipt
- a blank breakfast order form, so you can choose your breakfast for the next day. Please complete and leave in reception by 9pm each evening. We have always asked our guests to pre-order their breakfast as it helps plan our kitchen prep and more importantly, helps us manage any waste. Separate menu order forms are available for vegetarians, vegans and gluten-free diets. And we sometimes have a 'Breakfast Specials' menu as well
- a small thermos flask of fresh milk, which we will refresh every day
- some fresh cake or tray-bake in a sealed Tupperware tub for you to enjoy on your return each day
- a map of the village, with the local pubs and restaurant highlighted
- a list of recommended pubs and restaurants (with telephone numbers) in Braithwaite and Keswick, including those offering pre-ordered takeaway meals. Also indicating those that are dog-friendly.
Signing the registration form means that you are happy to accept our requests during your stay at Maple Bank, in order to keep yourselves and other guests as safe - and as relaxed - as possible during your stay.
Breakfast is between 7.30am and 9.30am and is cooked to order, once all of your party have come down to the dining room. We ask you choose a breakfast time when you check in, just to make sure we can look after all our guests properly and manage social distancing in the dining room. If you're in a party of four or more, then we will block out at least half hour for your order so you can all be served together and so our other guests aren't caught up waiting for their breakfasts. This helps make sure that everyone can get out for their days adventures and enjoy the Lakes. If you need to be out in the morning by a specific time then please let us know the night before, especially if it is before 7.30am. You'll get a fresh menu order form every day so you can choose your breakfast each day. If you want to phone ahead to reserve a specific breakfast time, please do. Happy to help.
If you're bringing a canine pal with you, we'll show you our fully enclosed garden, point out where to find the green dustbin for pooh-bags, and where to find dog-towels and doggy-dressing-gowns for wet paws. We have trays in each room for water and food bowls, but please do bring your dog's own beds, as it does seem to it help settle our four-legged guests more quickly. All rooms will have fleeces and throws for our four-legged guests which are washed after each stay.
Normally we would refresh and hoover your room each day. But things are obviously a bit different at the moment. For now, we will be continuing to ask our guests to do a couple of things before they leave for their day:
- weather permitting, please can you open your windows to refresh the room when you come down to breakfast and leave open whilst you're out
- leave any dirty cups, glasses, plates and cutlery outside your door, as well as your milk thermos and cake tub
- leave your bin-bags from your room and your bathroom outside your door.
When you come back, there will be fresh cups, glasses, and emptied bins outside your door, along with some fresh milk in your thermos and some cake of the day in a little Tupperware tub for you, as well as a new breakfast menu. For longer stays of four days or more, we will agree with you when you wish to change your towels. For longer stays we can discuss if and when you wish to have your bedlinen changed and your room hoovered.
If you wish to have a take-away evening meal in the House rather than eat out, some of our local pubs and restaurants can offer you this service, and you're welcome to eat your meal in the dining room, at your table. Our recommendations and phone numbers are available in your room. And some menus are also in your room, as well as being available online. And of course you're more than welcome to use your dining room table(s) for a games nights, as there are packs of cards, Uno, draughts, chess, Snakes and Ladders, Banagram, Articulate, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary etc all available to use during your stay.
If it's wet or muddy, you can leave your boots in the hall to dry out, and we always have plenty of newspaper which you can use to scrunch up inside any wet boots. Any wet clothes can be hung up in the hall or in the private bathroom. Best not to leave them in your car as they are unlikely to dry out overnight.
The garden is there for everyone to enjoy, not just our four-legged guests. Here you'll also find our newly created Paradise Terrace with chairs and a table for anyone that would like to sit outside. And more chairs are available if needed - just ask.
If you're wanting to pre-order some sandwiches for your days adventures, the Village Shop in Braithwaite is happy to make them up for you. You'll need to order them by 8pm the night before and email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org If you let us know as well if you are ordering sandwiches, we can let the shop know in advance as well. You can check out menu options here
And finally, as part of our post-COVID-19 pandemic cleaning procedures now in place, we do require check-out to be by 10am, in order to ensure that we leave as long as possible between guests exiting and entering a cleaned room.
But the most important thing to remember during your stay is that you have come here to relax, so kick-back and let the Lakes work their magic.
We're looking forward to welcoming you to Maple Bank.
Kate, Ann and wee Tara.